Regenerative Medicine & Stem Cell Therapy
Regenerative medicine aims to heal the whole body, not just treat the symptoms of disease, using cutting-edge technology and the body’s own innate ability to heal itself. Over the last two decades, medical innovations have made great strides due, in large part, to the use of stem cells. Having proved effective in healing wounds and injuries — as well as treating formerly intractable diseases, stem cell therapy has opened up the entire field of regenerative medicine. Certain applications using stem cells are so successful that they are inspiring additional research into adjacent areas of medicine. Presently, mesenchymal stem cells are being used to help improve the symptoms of a wide array of ailments or chronic diseases.
Other therapies that can be used in milder cases, or in conjunction with stem cell therapy, is prolozone therapy and peptides.
Where Do Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Exosomes Come From?
At Success by Design we only use umbilical cord stem cells or umbilical cord derived exosomes. Some clinics use stem cells from bone marrow or adipose tissue from your own body, referred to as autologous stem cells. This requires a surgical procedure to extract the stem cells, which is not ideal because it is more expensive and is using older, more damaged stem cells that are not as potent.
Young mesenchymal stem cells from umbilical cord tissue have a greater fitness level than your own cells. They replicate at faster rates, and have a much greater and faster
healing response. They have a stronger inflammatory protective effect and larger amounts of growth factors like bFGF 20.
Are Umbilical Cord Stem Cells Safe?
Umbilical cords used for stem cells are donated from a healthy mother and healthy baby within U.S from a planned C-section birth then processed in an FDA-registered Lab.
At Success by Design we use MSCs that are sourced from the rich Wharton’s Jelly layer* of the umbilical cord by labs that are FDA-registered; meaning they are in compliance with FDA Current Good Manufacturing Practice and Good Tissue Practices which assure quality and safety.
When receiving stem cells from donated tissue there is:
- Rejection is not an issue.
- No “donor matching” is required.
- There is no exchange of DNA.
*Wharton’s Jelly is the richest source of MSC in the umbilical cord and is superior to amniotic fluid, amniotic membrane tissue and umbilical cord blood.
Are Stem Cells FDA-Approved?
The only stem cell procedure the FDA has approved is using umbilical cord blood stem cells for certain types of bone marrow cancers which has been used since the early 1970s. Everything else is considered experimental including autologous and umbilical cord tissues at this time. Although not approved by the FDA there is clinical evidence for the use of umbilical tissues and autologous for certain conditions.
Is There Any Research to Support Using Stem Cells?
So far over 5,000 MSC related clinical trials have been registered at ClinicalTrials of the NIH in the US. HTTP://clinicaltrials.gov/ of which 1,900 trials have been completed. (Frontiers in Immunology 2018; 9. 1658. Long term large scientific studies need to be completed as time goes on for different conditions.)
All 361 procedures are considered experimental by the FDA at this point in time although there is clinical evidence for benefit for various conditions.
How Long Does it Take to See Benefits and How Long Do Benefits Last?
Some individuals will see results within 1-2 weeks.
Others will see improvement in 4-6 weeks.
Some cases could take 3-8 months according to clinical experience.
Individual results will vary depending upon the health of the patient. Smokers, uncontrolled diabetics and morbidly obese individuals will respond slower.
As with any medical treatment, some people may see no benefit.
Each patient varies, but according to observation, the body responds well to just one treatment of stem cells.
Some may need an additional procedure down the line.
The duration of benefit can vary from patient to patient but there are examples in the literature of patient benefits lasting over a decade.
For example, in one study, 100% of rotator cuff repairs with MSCs had healed after 6 months vs 67% without MSCs. At the 10 year follow-up 87% of the MSC repaired rotator cuff group were intact vs just 45% of the control group. The MSC treated group had better healing and long term benefits.
What are Mesenchymal Stem Cells and MSC-Derived Exosomes?
Healing and regeneration are encoded in your DNA thanks to stem cells and their complementary chemical packages. Stem cells are found throughout your body and live on the capillaries. When you have an injury, the stem cells release exosomes that contain healthful elements including cytokines, growth factors, and hyaluronic acid that are needed to repair the injury. These mesenchymal stem cells are your body’s internal agents to combat inflammation, degeneration and improve healing. They replace lost or injured tissue. They are unspecialized, undifferentiated cells that transform into our blood, muscles, cartilage, nerves, organs and glands. Many scientists, including those at the FDA, are researching MSCs extensively to develop novel treatments for many different types of human illness and diseases, inflammatory and autoimmune included.
Exosomes are vesicles, or small sacs, derived from — but can exist outside of — the stem cell. In the case of MSC-derived exosomes, they not only serve to facilitate communication among the cells, but also aid in the repair of damaged tissue. In fact, some studies demonstrate that MSC-derived exosomes (MSC-ex) may be more efficacious and even safer than MSCs themselves under certain circumstances.
At Success by Design, we use exosomes primarily for cosmetic procedures and hair restoration.
What Conditions Can Stem Cells Improve?
Stem cell therapy can be used to improve the symptoms of a number of ailments and infirmities, such as:
- Arthritis and Joint Pain — although this area is still subject to further research, the promise of pain relief is strong. Arthritis is caused by a loss of cartilage that cushions bones, thus yielding degeneration in the joints. This degeneration is due to chronic inflammation and oxidative stress. There is overwhelming evidence that stem cells help reduce inflammation and oxidative stress.
- Joint, Tendon and Muscle Injuries — because mesenchymal stem cells differentiate to form bone, cartilage and fat, they are instrumental in the formation of connective tissue like ligaments and tendons, as with the rotator cuff and Achilles tendon.
- Autoimmune disease occurs when the body’s immune system fails to recognize its own cells and organisms in contrast to foreign ones. Transplanting healthy stem cells can develop an orderly, functioning immune system by increasing the regulatory immune cells and decreasing the dysfunctional immune cells.
- Fibromyalgia and Inflammation — are recognized by muscle fatigue and joint pain. Many precursors are possible, such as surgery, infections, psychological/emotional stress or temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder. Pain medication, sleep inducers and anti-seizure drugs are commonly prescribed for this condition, as are counseling and physical therapy. Neurochemical imbalances associated with fibromyalgia can be corrected with stem cell therapy in many instances.
- Parkinson’s Disease — is characterized by the degeneration and termination of cells that comprise the neurotransmitter dopamine. Eventually, movement, balance, posture and speech are degraded by Parkinson’s. Stem cell intervention reverses the loss of dopamine cells, lessening the debilitating effects of the disease and improving symtpoms.
- Age management — many of the diseases of aging, heart disease, osteoporosis, alzheimer’s dementia, and cancer are caused by inflammation and oxidative stress. Since stem cells have been shown to reduce inflammation and oxidative stress, many patients use periodic stem cell therapy to simply feel better and potentially reduce the risk of these medical conditions.
Another promising area of regenerative medicine is prolozone therapy. Injecting a mix of procaine (an anesthetic), vitamins, ozone (O3) and minerals into locations of pain and injury, therapists can help restore function and diminish pain. In 2015, the journal Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine noted its positive outcomes relative to osteoarthritis in knees.
There are over 7000 known peptides in our bodies which direct an enormous number of different bodily functions ranging from hormone production, tissue and muscle repair, immune modulation, brain and central nervous system health, libido and sexual arousal, weight loss, inflammation reduction, DNA repair and antibacterial and antiviral effects.
Peptide therapy has been gaining popularity in recent years because of its safety profile and the fact that it is tolerated very well with little to no side effects.
It is much like hormone therapy but can be used for more specific conditions and a wider variety of symptoms.
Peptides can be used to improve overall wellness in the body as well as limit the effects of aging in the body.
Some of the conditions it can improve are:
- weight management
- improving your libido
- stimulating growth hormones
- helping with anxiety and depression
- joint and muscle repair
- improving mental clarity and focus
- improving memory
- improving sleep
- hair restoration
As of January 2015, there were over 60 US FDA-approved peptide medications, 140 peptide drugs being evaluated in clinical trials, and 500 in pre-clinical development.
Regenerative medicine has the potential for changing medical treatment, limiting the need for surgery or aggressive medication. As research bears fruit, we can look forward to greater degrees of wellness for a larger share of the population.
Set up a consultation with Success by Design and we will find the best form of treatment to manage your pain or inflammation.
Hormone Therapy Testimonial
"I was 55 and felt 85. Now I look younger, feel younger, and tell all my friends about Success by Design. I've probably sent 12 friends here. And I wouldn't unless it worked."
*Real Patient, Real Success
Weight Loss Testimonial
“I had a 40 pound weight loss opportunity that I hit. My son lost 100 pounds. It's not pills or gimmicks, it's education and lifestyle. And it works!"
*Real Patient, Real Success
Hormone Therapy and Regenerative Testimonial
"After back surgery and shoulder surgery I was feeling worn out. I had been dealing with pain for years. Doing the small stuff was causing me pain and I couldn't enjoy the things I really wanted to do. I've been doing hormone therapy and stem cells for a month now...no pain. Pretty amazing, really."
- Dave T
*Real Patient, Real Success
Stem Cell Testimonial
"I tried everything. Gel shots, surgery, everything. After stem cells, no pain in either knee, and I'm riding my bike again 10 miles. walking a mile every day."
- Tom W.
*Real Patient, Real Success